Mémoire de Lyon

L’Hôtel-Dieu

Dès le début du XIIe siècle un hospice existait au débouché du pont du Rhône (pont de la Guillotière). François Rabelais y exerça la médecine en 1532, tout en écrivant ses premiers livres imprimés à Lyon. Des extensions successives aboutirent à la construction par Soufflot, à partir de 1741, de la longue façade de 375 mètres sur le Rhône. Elle est surmontée d’un grand dôme qui fut incendié en 1944 et reconstruit selon le dessin initial. L’entrée monumentale, à proximité de la maison de la poétesse Louise Labé - La Belle Cordière - permet d’accéder au Musée des Hospices et à la chapelle construite au milieu du XVIIe siècle.

Hôtel-Dieu

As early as the beginning of the 12th century, a hospice existed at the end of the Pont du Rhône (Pont de la Guillotière). François Rabelais was a doctor here in 1532, while engaged in writing his first books printed in Lyon. A series of extensions culminated in the construction, by Soufflot and starting in 1741, of the 375 meter-long façade) overlooking the Rhône. The building is surmounted by a large dome which was destroyed by fire in 1944 and rebuilt to the original plans by Jean-Gabriel Mortamet. The monumental entrance near the house of the poetess Louise Labé - La Belle Cordière - provides access to the Hospice Museum and the chapel built in the middle years of the 17th century.

Nom :
Hôtel-Dieu
Adresse :
20 Quai Jules Courmont, 69002 Lyon
Coordonnées :
45.7583724,4.8366844