Mémoire de Lyon

Théâtre et Odéon gallo-romains

Dissimulés pendant des siècles sous la terre et des vignes, ces édifices ont été redécouverts à partir de 1933, grâce aux fouilles décidées par le maire Édouard Herriot. Le théâtre, construit en 15 avant J.-C., fut agrandi à 10 000 places sous l’empereur Hadrien, vers l’an 120. La disparition de son mur de scène, regrettable pour l’archéologie, a permis de l’ouvrir sur un jardin. L’odéon était réservé à la musique et à la poésie ; il était vraisemblablement recouvert d’une toiture de plaques de bronze. L’ensemble retrouve chaque été sa vocation culturelle et festive.

Gallo-Roman Theatre and Odeon

These buildings were hidden for centuries under a mass of earth and vines and were discovered during excavations ordered by the Mayor Édouard Herriot in 1933. The theatre, built in 15 BC, was enlarged to seat up to 10,000 people in around 120 AD under the reign of Emperor Hadrian. The disappearance of its stage wall, although a sad loss for the archaeological world, allows the theatre to open out onto a large garden. The Odeon was reserved for musical recitals and poetry readings and was probably covered by a bronze plate roof. The cultural and festive vocation of the site lives on to this day, with the summer festival held here every year.

Nom :
Théâtre et Odéon Gallo-Romains
Adresse :
6 Rue de l’Antiquaille, 69005 Lyon
Coordonnées :
45.759722, 4.819722

Galerie Photos